Friday, July 15, 2016

Ghostbusters


















When it was first announced that they were rebooting Ghostbusters with an all new cast, I was worried. Not because the Ghostbusters were going to be all female or that it was somehow going to rape my childhood or something stupid like that. I was worried that they were going to just remake the first movie basically beat for beat but with a new cast. To my pleasant surprise, they for the most part didn't. Crafting a fresh story with a cast of new and interesting characters, as well as some loving winks to the original films, the new Ghostbusters is actually pretty damn good. 

When a spectral apparition appears in the historical Aldridge Mansion in New York City, the head of the historical society seeks out the assistance of Columbia University physicist Erin Gilbert (played by Kristen Wiig), due to having read a book she wrote years ago with her research partner Abby Yates (played by Melissa McCarthy). Horrified to find out the book is back in print and worried it will destroy her chances of getting tenure, Erin seeks out Abby and finds her working at a third rate university with a new research partner, Jillian Holtzman (played by Kate McKinnon). She tries to talk some sense into Abby, but Abby and Jillian are distracted by the news of a verified haunting and before Erin knows it all three are on their way to Aldridge Mansion to investigate the ghost. Of course, they find one and manage to document the sighting on video which is then uploaded to YouTube. Erin's department head soon catches wind of it and lets Erin go for her persistence in the belief of the supernatural. She then proceeds to come together with Abby and Holtzman to set up their own lab and continue their research. After witnessing the very creepy spectre of an executed prisoner in the New York subway, Transit employee Patty Tolan (played by Leslie Jones) seeks out Erin, Abby and Holtzman. Intrigued by what they are doing and seeing herself as an asset, Patty joins the group as well as lunkhead aspiring actor Kevin (played by Chris Hemsworth) as their receptionist. As they continue their research, they discover someone is intentionally amping up the supernatural energy in New York City for their own nefarious purposes and set out to stop it.

Paul Feig is a comedy director that I have been increasingly become a fan of, starting with Bridesmaids and the continuing with The Heat and Spy, I've really dug his films. He has assembled a wonderful cast of comedic actors for the film, with Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy turning in solid performances as two long time friends who bonded over their mutual interest and belief in the paranormal. Kate McKinnon is this movie's secret weapon though, giving a consistently hilarious performance as the brilliant Holtzman, who develops much of the equipment our new Ghostbusters use, but is also dangerously weird and a bit of a loose cannon. Much of Leslie Jones' character has been groused about online as being a caricature, but I have to respectively disagree. Yes, her character can be a bit loud mouthed and freak out at times, but she is also shown to be just as strong, capable and valuable asset to the team as well. It's a far more balanced performance than the trailers let on. 

I was relieved watching the movie and found that aside from some of the broader strokes, the overall storyline of this reboot was brand spanking new. I was really worried that they were going to tell the same old story but was pleasantly surprised to find the script by Katie Dippold and Paul Feig had more originality to it than I anticipated. Yeah, some of the plot points, such as the forming of the Ghostbuster team and whatnot are repeated and we once again have a giant monster rampaging through the streets (the other two films had it too, so I suppose it's tradition at this point). But the villain and his scheme are completely new. I also appreciated that the characters were completely new and weren't trying to just create female facsimiles of the original Ghostbusters. The film also does a good job of melding the funny with the creepy, just as the original films did. 

Now, Ghostbusters has been a big part of my life for pretty much since the beginning. The first film is probably the first movie I had completely memorized as a kid. It has been a favorite ever since (and rewatching the film as an adult was an eye opening experience. I can't believe how much went over my head as a kid). I also enjoyed Ghostbusters II but I have to admit that one does have some problems. I also was a big fan of the animated series, The Real Ghostbusters, which this new film seems to have taken some influence from as well. I own a replica PKE meter, Ray's goggles and Proton Pack wand. So, having established myself as a bonafide Ghostbusters fan, I have to say I am shocked and appalled at the virulent hatred this movie has received even before it was released. I'll admit the advertising wasn't great, especially the first trailer. But I had faith in the talent behind the film and they delivered wonderfully. I just don't understand why so many people are hating it and hating it so much right out of the gate, likely without even having seen the film. This is a film that was made with loving care that pays reverence to what came before while also creating a whole new story and universe. Much of the cast of the original movie have cameos in the film, each one equally amusing. They even worked in a bust of Harold Ramis outside Erin's Columbia office as tribute. I'm psyched that young girls out there have their own set of Ghostbusters to look up to and be a fan of. The Ghostbusters films have been a series of films that have given me a lot of joy in my life and this new one sits comfortably alongside the first two films. I just don't understand the hatred. 

I did get a few laughs at the film characters getting in some jabs to the haters online within the movie though as the characters view the comments on their videos. That was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment