Saturday, August 16, 2014

Revisting Dead Poets Society



















When I was looking thorough my extensive collection of Blu-Rays and DVDs, trying to figure out which films I wanted to revisit as a tribute of sorts to the immeasurable and sudden loss of Robin Williams, I knew this one would be first. It was clear to me because the first thought that came in to my head when I found out he had died, well the one immediately following "Oh God, please no!", was "Oh Captain, my Captain," the common refrain from this film adopted from a Walt Whitman poem. This was a film that I get the feeling an entire generation of kids took to heart, seeing it mentioned time and time again in remembrances of Mr. Williams. I knew that watching this one was going to wreck me even more than usual and I was right, but it needed to be let out anyway, so I powered through. I should say this writing is going to be filled with spoilers, so if you have somehow not seen this fantastic piece of cinema yet, please go watch it and come back. We'll wait. 

Now then, where do I start? I'll do a brief recap. The film centers on a group of teenage boys who attend an exclusive New England Prep School and the impact their influential and inspiring teacher John Keating (played by Robin Williams, in one of his most memorable performances) has on them. He teaches the boys in unorthodox ways, in the views of their rigid, uptight private school standards anyway. He exclaims, "Carpe Diem! Seize the day," something they take to heart. He has them rip out an obnoxious introduction in their text book that reduces judging poetry to a simple math formula, and rightly so if you ask me. He encourages the boys to think for themselves and develop their own opinions. He has them each stand on his desk in an attempt to gain a new perspective on the world.  One student in particular that is effected by these teachings is the new student to the school, Todd (played by Ethan Hawke). He starts out the year introverted and unsure of himself. Slowly but surely, Keating encourages him to come out of his shell and express himself.


A group of these students are so taken with this message, find out that not only did Keating go to the school, but was a member of a club called "The Dead Poets Society." Inspired, they start the club up again, having meetings in a cave outside school grounds. One student in particular, Neil (played by Robert Sean Leonard) in particular takes this to heart and starts actively defying his stern father (played by Kurtwood Smith) who is determined his son is going to be a doctor and forbids his son from participating in extra-curricular activities and focus on his studies. Despite this, Neil tries out for the school play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and manages to land the role of Puck. He forges a note of permission from his father rather than ask him his permission, which in the end only makes things worse. His father finds out and pulls him out of school after the play's opening night, blaming his son's misbehavior on Keating's influence. He takes Neil home and informs him he's enrolling him in a Military school no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That night, in a fit of despair, Neil kills himself. It's a devastating moment that has immediate consequences throughout the remainder of the film. 

The final act of the film has the remaining students in the class essentially forced into signing a document stating that Keating's teachings were unorthodox and responsible for Neil's actions. Keating is fired and ordered to leave school grounds. He arrives to collect his things during class. Todd is there, visibly distraught that the best teacher he's probably ever had is being forced to leave, along with the guilt he feels with giving in to signing the document. He confesses as much to Keating, but is reprimanded to sit down and be quiet. Keating is ordered to leave the classroom. Before he leaves, Todd summons the courage to stand up on his desk, crying out "Oh captain, my captain." Several other students are inspired to follow suit. Moved, Keating thanks the boys and leaves. I've seen the film a few dozen times and it's a scene that has never failed to make me tear up. 

I'm not sure I quite grasped the impact this film had until Robin Williams passing. As I looked through the various posts, this was one of the most frequently referenced, along with Aladdin. As both came out within a few years of one another (Dead Poets Society was released in 1989, Aladdin in 1992), they clearly both had a significant impact on my generation. Even Jimmy Fallon, when paying tribute on the Tonight Show, stood on his desk, proclaiming "Oh Captain, my Captain." It's clear that the film's themes of living life to it's fullest, seizing the day and thinking for one's self made the mark they should have and a lot of people took them to heart. While Robin Williams made several significant films, many of which I love and intend to revisit as well, this one will always be my absolute favorite. Oh Captain, my Captain, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment