Friday, January 24, 2014

The First Post


Upon suggestion of many friends, I have decided to start a blog dedicated to all things film. I can only assume this is because they want to hear more, rather than wish for me to stop talking about it altogether. 

I have had a lifelong love for film and it's only grown as I have gotten older. I also have a very broad taste in film with love for all genres in film. It really started when I was fairly young, say nine or ten and my Dad started showing me films like Jaws and The Poseidon Adventure. From there, I started seeking them out on my own, discovering many of them on cable on days off from school. I vividly remember watching John Carpenter's The Thing on basic cable in the middle of a summer afternoon and being absolutely terrified. 

That's the other thing. As I was growing up, I was a huge horror junkie. I absolutely loved scary movies. One of the first ones I saw was Pet Semetary when I was way too young. My dad had rented it and was watching it one morning. I sneaked in and sat on the couch at the back of the room undiscovered until my mom ratted me out when she walked in towards the end of the movie. I distinctly remember my dad turning around and shrugging, saying, "Too late now."

As I grew up, I started branching out in the type of films I watched, from comedies, action, dramas to classics and beyond. It escalated even further when I got a job at Blockbuster. One of the perks of the video store job was 5 free rentals a week. I saw everything I could. I saw great movies, mediocre movies and terrible movies. My film collection grew to almost absurd proportions to where I now look back at some of the things I own and legitimately wonder, "Why?" 

Then I went to college and majored in Journalism with a minor in Film Studies. I loved my film classes, arguing and pulling apart films. Analyzing themes and subtext while discussing the auteur theory. I became exposed to an increasingly wide range of films, adding even more dimension to my already diverse tastes. I discovered the likes of Woody Allen, Billy Wilder and Francois Truffaut, among many others. 

So, now I am long since out of college still ever the Cinephile and ready to start my blog. I have dropped a great deal of the pretentiousness I developed in College (a common side effect of studying film). Instead, I will blog about whatever happens to tickle my fancy at a given time because this is my blog and I don't see another goddamn blogger so pipe down. But never fear, dear reader, for my love of cinema is far and vast and I'm sure you'll love most of it anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment